Monday 20 August 2012

Starting of my Tarantula collection

Early of Year 2012, I was visiting a local pet shop with my working colleague who wanted to get some feeder for his Arowana. I come across to see snakes, beatles, geckos and spiders...
What caught my eyes and interest me was the large hairy spiders. I have totally no idea that people are keeping this spiders as pets.
After that day, I went home to do some research on this large hairy spiders. They are called "Tarantulas".

Tarantulas (as the term is used in North America) comprise a group of often hairy and very large arachnids belonging to the family Theraphosidae, of which approximately 900 species have been identified. Although some members of the same suborder may also be called "tarantulas" in the common parlance, this article only describes members of Theraphosidae.

Pet tarantulas have gotten more and more popular. They are a noiseless creature and many are quite docile. These pet spiders require very little space and are easy to care for and feed. You can find tarantulas widely available at pet stores, reptile shows, and online breeders and dealers. They can be handled, but they are not a pet you should handle due to the possibility of injuring the spider. If you want a unique and interesting pet, a tarantula would be a fine choice.

I get a couple of tarantulas from a local breeder (David Chiang) in Penang that later become my colleague working in the same company. Starting off with 2 Grammostola pulchripes and 2 Grammostola rosea slings, that caught my interest in this unique creature.
Within half a year, I have own over 40 tarantulas. Even start breeding some of them.

Sharing resources with my fellow friends and colleague, I then turn my hobby into a small business of trading tarantulas.

No comments:

Post a Comment